Crispy, crunchy, beefy, and cheesy--these oil-free Vegan Taquitos are the perfect comfort food. The combination of the taco-seasoned tofu crumbles and rich cashew queso make these an absolutely indulgent vegan treat that even your omni friends will love! Air Fryer Taquitos instructions included.
It's no secret that I love Mexican food! And while I'm happy to make a meal of chips and salsa, sometimes I crave something a little more adventurous. These Baked Vegan Taquitos combine the beefy texture and flavors of the seasoned tofu crumbles with the rich, cheesiness of the cashew queso for an incredibly delicious bite. Serve with vegan sour cream or yogurt, guacamole, and my favorite Restaurant-Style Salsa for an indulgent Mexican meal.
- What are taquitos?
- Are they gluten free?
- Do vegan taquitos make good party or holiday appetizers?
- How to make the taquito filling
- How to roll the taquitos
- How to bake the taquitos
- Air Fryer Taquito Instructions
- How to store?
- Can I make it ahead?
- More vegan Mexican recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- Meal Planning Tips & Printables
You'll love these Vegan Taquitos because they're:
- Crunchy & Delicious
- Vegan / Vegetarian
- Easy to make Gluten-free
- Easy to make in an Air Fryer
- An amazing appetizer or main course!
What are taquitos?
If you've never tried taquitos, then you definitely need to! Traditionally taquitos are rolled corn tortillas filled with beef and cheese and then fried. (They're similar to flautas, Spanish for "flute," but those are usually longer and often made with flour tortillas.) Not exactly healthy or vegan! But this recipe manages to make these taquitos both plant-based and oil-free. So even though they look at taste incredibly indulgent, they're also secretly healthy.
Are they gluten free?
These taquitos use a small amount of soy sauce, which is generally not gluten-free, but you can either buy a brand of sauce sauce that's gluten-free or substitute with tamarind or something similar. The soy sauce helps with the browning, but if you want to keep it simple, you could just leave out the soy sauce and use a ½ teaspoon of salt.
Do vegan taquitos make good party or holiday appetizers?
Yes! If you're looking for a delicious vegan appetizer to share with vegan and meat-eating friends alike, this taquito recipe is perfect. To make them more appetizer-like, you could either cut the taquitos in half before serving or use mini corn tortillas. If using mini tortillas, you will probably need a little less baking time (10 to 15 minutes). Serve on a big tray with your favorite dips and this vegan appetizer is sure to be a hit!
At first glance this might seem like a long list. But most of these ingredients are spices or staples you probably already have at home. These taquitos have four main components: corn tortillas, taco seasoned tofu, cashew queso, and your favorite toppings. Let's break it down.
For the Taco Seasoned Tofu:
- 7oz or 200g Extra Firm Tofu
- ¾ cup Vidalia (or yellow) onion
- light soy sauce
- lime juice
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Ground Cumin
For the Cashew Queso:
- Unsalted Cashews
- unsweetened, plain plant-based yogurt
- nutritional yeast
- lemon juice
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Sea Salt (optional)
- ½ of a ripe tomato or 2 tablespoon of your favorite chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoon of Diced Green Chiles (jarred or fresh)
How to make the taquito filling
- The first step in making these vegan taquitos is to make the seasoned tofu crumble. (If you aren't using super-firm tofu, then you should press the tofu first to remove some of the liquid). In a large mixing bowl, crumble the block of tofu. Then add the onions and other spices. Stir to combine and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake the tofu crumbles for 15 to 20 minutes on 450°F or 230°C, or until they are crispy and nicely browned. It's okay if the smaller pieces are darker and more well done. This will help add texture to the taquito mixture.
- While the seasoned tofu is baking in the oven, you can make the cashew queso. (The timing is perfect). You just need to boil the cashews for 10 minutes, rinse and drain, blend with the other queso ingredients, cook down another 5 minutes, and stir in the add-ins. For full instructions to make the Vegan Cashew Queso, click here.
- When both the seasoned tofu and cashew queso are ready, simply add both to a large bowl and mix to combine. This will be the filling for your taquitos!
How to roll the taquitos
- Start by softening your corn tortillas. You can warm them in the already hot oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Or wrap them in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Next, create a rolling station with your warmed tortillas and the taquito filling. Place one tortilla on a plate and add about two tablespoons of the filling in a line down the center of the tortilla. Then fold one side over, tightly tucking it as you roll the tortilla.
How to bake the taquitos
- While you are rolling the taquitos, preheat the oven to 450F or 230C.
- Place each of the filled tortillas seam-side down on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy and browned.
- After the taquitos come out of the oven top with your favorite salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream or yogurt, and enjoy!
Air Fryer Taquito Instructions
To make these vegan taquitos in the air fryer, you simply follow the instructions as listed, but instead of putting them on a baking sheet, you place them directly into the air fryer basket. Most air fryers will only have enough space for 6 to 8 taquitos at a time, so you'll need to cook them in at least 2 batches.
Preheat the Air Fryer to 425F or 210C and cook each batch for 6 to 8 minutes, or until nicely browned and crunchy on the outside. As an optional step you could brush the tops with olive oil or plant milk for slightly better browning, but it's not necessary.
How to store?
If you happen to have leftovers, you can simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I don't recommend storing with toppings on, as that will make the taquitos soggy. To reheat, simply warm in the oven (5 to 10 minutes) or microwave (about 1 minute).
Can I make it ahead?
If you want to make these taquitos ahead of time, simply roll and store (uncooked) seam-side down in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Adding a damp towel over the top of the taquitos will help keep them from drying out.
You can also make ahead (uncooked) and store these in the freezer for several months. To freeze, place on a tray, with enough space so the taquitos don't stick together. After they're frozen solid, you can move to a smaller container or freezer bag. To reheat, place in the oven at a lower heat (375°F or 190°C) for 10 minutes, then turn the heat up to 450°F or 230°C for another 5 to 10 minutes.
More vegan Mexican recipes
- Vegan Street Tacos
- Vegan Fajitas
- Vegan Burrito Bowls
- Southwestern Salad with Chili-Lime Tofu Nuggets
- Cilantro-Lime Avocado Dressing (Oil-Free!)
Baked Vegan Taquitos with Seasoned Tofu and Cashew Queso
Seasoned Tofu Taco Crumbles
- 7 oz or 200g extra firm tofu
- ¾ cup diced Vidalia onion (or use whatever onion you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup plain, unsweetened plant yogurt
- ½ cup water (plus more if needed)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoon chopped green chiles
- Click Here For Full Cashew Queso Instructions
Additional Ingredients and Garnishes
- 16 to 18 corn tortillas
- vegan sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Restaurant-Style Salsa (optional)
Make the Seasoned Tofu Crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 450°F or 230°C.
- Over a large mixing bowl, use your hands to crumble a block of extra firm tofu.
- Dice about half of a large white onion for ¾ of a cup. Add to the tofu crumbles.
- Add the other spices to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the mixture is nicely browned.
- (Don't turn off the oven when you take them out because you'll need the oven again to bake the taquitos.)
Make the Cashew Queso
- To make the cashew queso, boil 1 cup of unsalted cashews for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Add the cashews and the other main queso ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Pour the queso into a small pot and heat on low for 5 minutes, sirring with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and add diced cilantro, tomatoes, and green chiles. Click on the link above for the full instructions.
Roll and Bake the Taquitos
- Warm the corn tortillas for 3 to 4 minutes in the oven or wrap in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Place the warmed tortillas on a plate or shallow bowl and cover with another plate. This will keep them warm and soft.
- In a large bowl, add the Tofu Crumbles and Cashew Queso and mix to create the taquito filling.
- Place one corn tortilla on a plate or cutting board. Add about 2 tablespoon of the mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla. Fold one side of the tortilla over the mixture, using your fingers to tuck the edge of the tortilla up under the filling. Roll the tortilla and then place seamside-down on a baking sheet. Repeat this process for each tortilla. Leave space between each tortilla on the baking sheet so they can get crispy on each side.
- Place the baking sheet with the taquitos in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tortillas are crunchy and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite sauces: vegan sour cream or yogurt, salsa, guacamole, or pico de gallo. Enjoy!
- For a fun party appetizer, use smaller corn tortillas. This should make 30 to 36 mini taquitos.