This Vegan Avocado Crema is a tangy and delicious addition to tacos, burrito bowls, and more! With just a handful of simple ingredients, you can whip up this silky-smooth sauce in 5 minutes!
Not only is this Vegan Avocado Crema creamy (it's in the name after all!) but it's incredibly versatile and pairs with a variety of dishes and cooking styles (not just Mexican--although you can't go wrong there!)
One of the things that I love about this vegan crema is that it comes together so quickly! Just blend everything up and you're done! You don't need any special ingredients and the prep is minimal, so it's easy to whip up this tangy vegan condiment whenever you want!
You'll love this Avocado Crema recipe because it's:
- Simple & Delicious
- Quick & Easy
- WFPB & Oil-Free
- Perfect for adding to tacos, burrito bowls, and more!
Is this guacamole?
Nope! Although it has some similarities to guacamole, avocado crema is silkier and smoother. It's meant to be a thick sauce and is made by blending, whereas guacamole is traditionally chunkier, often contains other ingredients like diced onions and jalapeños, and is made by mashing.
- 2 ripe avocados: If they are smaller avocados (like what you sometimes get when you buy in bulk, then you might want to use 2.5 or 3) Here's a great tip for picking the ripe avocados!
- unsweetened vegan yogurt: I recommend soy or coconut. Vegan sour cream can be substituted if you can't find unsweetened vegan yogurt.
- water: This will help with the blending.
- fresh cilantro: If it tastes like soap to you, just leave it out!
- lime juice: Freshly squeezed or from a jar are both fine. If you don't have lime juice, lemon juice can be substituted.
- garlic: The recipe calls for garlic cloves, but a tablespoon of granulated garlic will also work.
- salt: Start with a smaller amount and add more to taste if needed.
*See recipe card for quantities.
Here are step-by-step instructions with photos.
Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Taste to adjust seasonings. Serve and enjoy!
Hint: If the sauce is too thick, add another teaspoon or two of water and blend again.
For this recipe, you'll need a blender! For some reason, I decided to use a smoothie blender when I took the photos, but I actually prefer a normal blender.
All of my favorite products and kitchen tools can be found in my Amazon shop.
How to serve
Serve this Avocado Crema as a dip, sauce, or topping for a variety of dishes including burrito bowls, buddha bowls, taquitos, or even salads. This vegan crema would make a perfect condiment to pair with a simple dish of pinto beans and rice. Spread it on a burger or use it as an appetizer dip. The possibilities are endless!
If you're looking to pair it with tacos, I recommend:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. To keep the avocado from browning, store the crema in a narrower container, like a glass jar. Use a spoon to press the crema down to remove any air pockets and add a layer of lime juice over the top.
Alternatively, the crema can be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag. Or add the crema to ice cube trays. After the crema is frozen, transfer the cubes to a separate container for individual portions. Defrost in the refrigerator.
Vegan Avocado Crema
- 2 ripe avocados (peeled and pitted)
- ½ cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro (roughly chopped or torn, stems removed)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- ½ teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste to adjust seasonings and serve right away!
- This recipe makes about 2 cups of avocado crema (depending on the size of your avocados). You can easily halve the recipe if needed, as leftovers will only last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. To keep the avocado from browning, store the crema in a narrower container, like a glass jar. Use a spoon to press the crema down to remove any air pockets and add a layer of lime juice over the top.
Did you try this recipe? Have a question? Just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you ASAP!