From salsa to queso, tacos to fajitas, you can't go wrong with Vegan Mexican cuisine. Thankfully it's quick, easy, and affordable to veganize, plus it's much healthier without the meat and dairy. So if you're looking for some Vegan Mexican recipes and Taco Bar ideas, this list has you covered!
Mexican food has a reputation for being unhealthy, but that couldn't be further from the truth! Once you remove meat and dairy from the equation, Mexican cuisine is actually full of veggies, legumes, and spices. And these Vegan Mexican Recipes are no exception.
It should come as no surprise that we love Mexican-inspired food at my house and eat it multiple times a week! Almost every weekend, we make a big batch of salsa that's perfect for topping burrito bowls and salads for healthy weekday lunches. Sometimes we stick to the easy stuff, and sometimes we go all out. And when we have friends over for dinner, we create epic Taco Bars that everyone loves. So if you're in need of Vegan Mexican Recipe ideas, check out this collection. At the end, I've even created a tutorial for building your own Taco Bar!
You'll love these Vegan Mexican recipes because they're:
- Easy & Delicious
- Vegan /Vegetarian
- Mostly WFPB
- Crowd Pleasers for Vegans & NonVegans alike!
- Perfect for Cinco de Mayo & Taco Tuesday
Are these recipes gluten-free?
Most of these recipes are already gluten-free. A few things to watch out for are tortillas and chips (choose corn tortillas over flour) and soy sauce (choose gluten-free soy sauce or tamarind sauce).
Are these recipes nut-free?
Most of them are already nut-free. In the case of the chipotle mayo and cashew queso, you can substitute with sunflower seeds.
Salsas & Sides
No Mexican feast is complete without an array of plant-based salsas, toppings, and sides. These add the perfect touch of spice, creaminess, and flavor to your mains. Sometimes they're already vegan and sometimes they need a little tweaking, but they're always delicious!
Whether it's Cinco de Mayo, Taco Tuesday, or any day of the week, no Vegan Mexican Feast is complete without one or two show-stopping mains. From tacos to fajitas, taquitos to big salads, these recipes are sure to fill you up!
How to build a taco bar
At our house, we love doing taco bars since everyone can choose their own favorite toppings. Taco Bars are also great when you have dinner guests with different dietary needs. Below I've included some of my favorite components for building a taco bar. Most of the recipes are listed in the recipe card, but here's a great jackfruit carnitas recipe if you need one.
Vegan Mexican Recipes & Taco Bar
- corn or flour tortillas (3 to 4 per guest)
Salsas & Toppings
- Decide which components you will serve. Most of the salsas and toppings can be made a few hours or even a day in advance.
- About 1 to 1.5 hours before serving, prep and start cooking your main proteins. If you're making fajita veggies or queso, start those after the protein is cooking.
- Just before serving, warm your tortillas in the oven (low heat for just a few minutes), on a skillet (medium heat for a few seconds each side), or in the microwave (wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and nuke for 15 to 30 seconds). Use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm. Or place the tortillas on a plate with a wide, shallow bowl as a lid.
Set the Taco Bar
- For a more traditional buffet, set the components in a line according to how they will build the taco bar. Start with warmed tortillas, then main proteins, then veggies, and finally salsas and toppings. (This works better for larger groups)
- Alternatively, you can set all of the components on a large table for a sit-down taco bar. (This works better for groups of 6 or less).
- Dive in and enjoy!
- These are just some suggestions of what I like to serve when I make a vegan taco bar. Feel free to comment below with your favorite toppings!
- If you prefer a build your own burrito bowl bar, just sub out the tortillas for rice.
More Recipe Collections
- Vegan Grill Party Recipes
- Vegan Summer Desserts
- Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Nutritional Yeast Recipes
- Vegan Appetizers
Did you try this recipe? Have a question? Just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you ASAP!