If you're craving fish tacos, these Vegan Fish Tacos won't disappoint. The nori and lime juice
The first time I ate these Vegan "Fish" Tacos I almost cried with joy! I'm not even joking. Living in Europe, it's practically impossible to get good Mexican food. But to find good vegan Mexican food. . . . Let's just say my cravings were not being satisfied.
You'll love these Vegan Fish Tacos because they're:
- Flavorful & Fun
- Quick & Easy
- Absolutely Delicious!
What is nori?
There is only one slightly unusual ingredient in this recipe, and that's the nori. Nori is a fancy word for seaweed that's been dried into sheets. It's the same kind of seaweed that's used to wrap sushi (which is why vegetarian sushi, in my opinion, tastes just as good as the real thing). You either buy **nori flakes or nori sheets. I was only able to find it in sheets, but I used my handy spice grinder and turned it into fine flakes in mere seconds.
(Okay, I guess if you're new to veganism then nutritional yeast might also sound a bit odd. Check out my post on Essential Vegan Pantry Ingredients for more explanation. You can order Nutritional Yeast online here).
How to Make Vegan "Fish" Tacos
Preheat the oven to 425F or 220C.
If you're using Nori sheets, start by grinding them in a spice grinder.
Gather your paste ingredients, add them to a bowl, and stir to combine.
The consistency of the paste should be thin enough to cover all of the tofu chunks. You're looking for something thinner than a pesto but thicker than enchilada sauce.
After you’ve made your paste, just break the tofu into chunks, using your thumb. I like my chunk to have lots of ridges and crannies to pick up all the flavors of the paste.
After you've broken the tofu into chunks, simply fold carefully into the paste, trying not to make smaller pieces. (To ensure more even cooking.) Then spread your coated tofu chunks on a lined baking sheet and pop into the oven for 30 minutes.
While the fish is cooking you can assemble the black bean mango salsa, the creamy vegan slaw, and warm up your corn tortillas. Once the "fish" is done, layer everything onto your tacos, and
How to Store
Store any leftover ingredients separately. The tofu will last up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.
- Vegan Crab Cakes
- Vegan Street Tacos
- Vegan Mexican Recipes
- Cashew Queso
- Vegan Fajitas
- Vegan Quesadilla Cheese
Best Vegan Fish Tacos
- 14 oz Super Firm Tofu
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 nori sheets, ground (or ¼ cup nori flakes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Creamy Vegan Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- black bean mango salsa
- lime slices for serving
- avocado slices for serving
- Preheat over to 425° F or 220° C
- If using nori sheets, use a spice grinder to turn the nori sheets into fine flakes.
- Add all of the paste ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Your paste should be thin enough to evenly spread over the tofu.
- Unwrap tofu and break into bite-sized chunks over the bowl. As you do this, use your thumb to create craggy, rounded edges. (They're still edible if they're blocky and smooth, but the pieces will hold the paste better and take on a more natural shape if they're rounded and have craggy edges.)
- Lightly fold the chunks into the paste.
- Scoop tofu onto a lined sheet pan and place in the oven. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tofu is nicely blackened and crispy on the outside.
Creamy Vegan Slaw
- Simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix to combine, and serve.
To Assemble the Tacos
- Heat your corn tortillas on a skillet over medium heat until they are softened (30 second to 1 minute per tortilla). Store the tortillas on a plate covered by another plate or a clean towel. The moisture from the heat will keep the tortillas soft.)
- Place all of the taco elements in seperate bowls to creat a "taco bar."
- For each taco: Lay 1 corn tortilla flat, add a small scoop of vegan "fish," slaw, and black bean & mango salsa. Add a sliced avocado and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
- If you use super firm (vacuum-sealed) tofu, you shouldn't have to press. For regular firm tofu, press for 15 to 20 minutes first.
Want access to my Exclusive Meal Planning Tips & Printables page?
Did you try this recipe? Have a question? Just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you ASAP!
What kind of yogurt do you use for the slaw?