This spicy pickled cabbage is a magical condiment that goes great on wraps, burgers, veggie dogs, tacos--or just eat it as a side dish. With minimal prep and a few simple ingredients, you can quickly create this epic vegan condiment.
If you're craving something that's sweet, sour, and spicy all at the same time, look no further than this quick pickled cabbage. It checks all the boxes and comes together in minutes! With a simple ingredient list and no fancy equipment required, anyone can make it. If you're not into spice, simply omit the jalapeño and swap the mustard powder for regular yellow mustard.
You'll love this Spicy Pickled Cabbage because it's:
- Spicy & Delicious
- Quick & Easy
- Perfect for topping Sandwiches, Salads, & More!
How To Make
This recipe is so simple.
Next, add all the ingredients for the pickling liquid in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking to incorporate the ingredients. After the liquid comes to a boil, take off the heat and pour directly into the mason jar. Use a spoon to push all the veggies under the liquid.
And that's it! Prepare ahead of time, or make and serve. The flavors will be more intense if you make it an hour or more in advance, but if you're short on time you can eat it (almost) right away. (Wait at least 10 minutes).
Store the rest in a mason jar or other airtight container in the refrigerator, and you'll enough have spicy pickled cabbage at your fingertips for several meals!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Do not store at room temperature.
- I haven't tried freezing this recipe, but it can probably be done. You'll just need to fully defrost before eating it.
More Vegan Recipes
- Easiest BBQ Jackfruit
- 3-ingredient Apricot Jam
- Super Simple Tofu Nuggets
- Vegan Quesadilla Cheese
- Homemade Almond Butter
Tips on Going Vegan
Spicy Pickled Cabbage
- 1 cup diced or shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup diced or shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 diced jalapenos
- Thinly slice or shred the cabbage and carrots. (Or buy pre-shredded.) Place in a large mason jar. (You just might have to push it down to get it all in, but that's okay because once the liquid hits, the size of the veggies will reduce.)
- Carefully wash and prepare the jalapenos. Slice into rings or half moons. Remove the seeds for less heat or leave them in for a real kick! Add the jalapenos to the jar with the veggies.
- In a small sauce pot, add the remaining ingredients and bring to a quick boil, stirring or whisking until the syrup and spices are incorporated.
- Remove pot from heat and pour slowly over the veggies in the jar. Once all the liquid is in the jar, use a spoon to push the the veggies below the surface of the liquid. Place the lid over the jar but don't seal (it will pop!)
- I recommend waiting one hour before serving. However, if you're short on time, the pickled cabbage will be ready to eat in about 10 minutes.
- Store leftovers in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- These are quick pickled veggies and therefore should NOT be stored at room temperature. Use proper preparation and sterilization whenever canning food.
Did you try this recipe? Have a question? Just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you ASAP!