This hearty country salad combines crunchy veggies, sweet tomatoes, earthy almonds, tangy "honey" mustard dressing, and Chick-fil-A Style Tofu Nuggets for a satisfying yet healthy meal. Perfect for a make-ahead lunch or an entree salad. So tasty, you won't believe everything is 100% vegan and oil-free!
How do you make a perfect salad? I've always thought the best salads need one ingredient that tastes a little indulgent just to balance the rest out. And for this salad, that is the Chick-fil-A style tofu nuggets--except they're actually healthy because they're oil-free and baked in the oven! Score!
Add in the crunchiness of the lettuce, cucumbers, and carrots, the juiciness of the tomatoes, and richness of the almonds, and you have the perfect base. The "honey" mustard dressing is sweet and tangy with a little kick and ties everything together. As far as salads go, it doesn't much better.
This Hearty Salad is Filling and High Protein
This combination is so hearty and filling, yet everything is vegan and oil-free. Whoever says salads are for the birds hasn't tried this one! It's perfect for a hot summer night or a make-ahead busy weekday lunch. (Just keep the elements separate in the fridge and add the dressing when serving). Need something to eat on the go? This hearty country salad also makes the perfect filling for a wrap.
Not only does this salad get its protein from the tofu nuggets, but it also gets a power bump from the almonds and the protein-rich dressing.
You're Going to Love this Hearty Country Salad because it's:
- Quick & Easy
- Crunchy & Satisfying
- Big & Filling
- Tasty but Oil-Free
- Easy to Store or Make Ahead
- Absolutely Delicious!
How to Make this Hearty Country Salad
While the tofu is in the oven (see link below for tofu directions) you can make the vegan honey mustard dressing (5 minutes, also linked below) and chop your vegetables. Then just assemble the salad, toss, and sprinkle with almond slices or slivers. Finally, add the tofu nuggets and drizzle the dressing over the top. This recipe is super easy and perfect for a relaxing summer evening or any time of year!
If you're planning to make this chopped salad ahead of time, I recommend chopping and storing the veggies in separate containers. Wash and dry the lettuce and store in an airtight bag or container with a dry paper or kitchen towel to absorb any extra moisture. The vegan honey mustard dressing can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator.
The tofu nuggets actually taste really nice when served cold on this salad. The flavors are enhanced and the texture is reminiscent of cold chicken. I actually prefer to eat them cold for this meal! The leftovers make a perfect, easy lunch for work or a busy afternoon when you're not in the mood to cook.
If this recipe for Hearty Country Salad with Tofu Nuggets & Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing speaks your language, you might also love:
- Southwestern Salad with Chili-Lime Tofu Nuggets
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Bites
- Cilantro-Lime Avocado Dressing (Oil-Free!)
- Creamy Vegan Coleslaw (Oil-Free!)
- Vegan Palak Paneer with Tofu (Oil-Free!)
Vegan Country Salad with Tofu Nuggets & "Honey" Mustard Dressing
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Chick-fil-A Style Tofu Nuggets (see link below)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup slivered or sliced almonds
- vegan honey mustard dressing (see link below)
- Follow the instructions linked below to prep and cook the tofu nuggets (35 to 40 minutes total).
- While the tofu nuggets are cooking prep the vegetables: wash and tear the lettuce; wash and cut the tomatoes and cucumbers; wash and grate the carrots.
- Make the honey mustard dressing following the instructions linked below. You will need a high-speed blender to make the oil-free aioli from scratch (Or use store-bought vegan mayo.)
- To build the salad: Place the lettuce and other vegetables in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Sprinkle the almonds over the top. Add the tofu nuggets. Drizzle with vegan honey mustard dressing. Enjoy!
- Feel free to use whatever greens you like or have on hand. I chose romaine lettuce because I love the crunch factor, but I think this salad would also be great with spinach or mixed greens.
- One medium-sized carrot should yield more than enough grated carrot for this salad.