This creamy vegan coleslaw is bright and colorful, with a decadent yet healthy oil-free silken tofu dressing. Perfect for topping a BBQ jackfruit sandwich or enjoy as a side dish. With this delicious and healthy coleslaw, it's never been easier to eat your cabbage!
When you think of coleslaw, what comes to mind? Something bland, flavorless, and drowning in a mysterious white dressing? If that sounds familiar, then it's time to reimagine coleslaw. In this recipe, I'm giving coleslaw a makeover. Not only is this Vegan Coleslaw Recipe bright and flavorful, but it's healthy, oil-free, and protein-rich.
Things You'll Love About this Vegan Coleslaw:
- It's quick and easy
- You can make it ahead of time
- It's oil-free and 100% vegan
- It's chock full of healthy vegetables
- The silken tofu makes it both creamy and protein-rich
- It's dairy and gluten-free
How to Make Creamy Vegan Coleslaw
I recommend using pre-shredded cabbage, mainly because I'm lazy busy. But if you have a head of cabbage, you can certainly shred it yourself using a food processor or cheese grater. You could even slice it thinly with a knife. And if you are working with a big head of cabbage and just want to use red cabbage or white cabbage (instead of both) that's also perfectly acceptable. Shredding the cabbage yourself will add about 10 minutes to the prep time.
If you buy a pre-shredded cabbage mix, you simply add the veggies to a bowl, make the dressing, and mix it all together. It can't get much easier than that!
How to Serve Creamy Vegan Coleslaw
Coleslaw is the quintessential topping for a BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich, but it also tastes amazing on a taco, wrap, or even as an addition to a big green salad. You can also enjoy it as a side dish. Along with a creamy vegan potato salad, this vegan coleslaw is perfect for picnics, cookouts, or backyard barbeques!
If this recipe for Creamy Vegan Coleslaw speaks your language, you might also love:
- Oil-Free Oven Fries with Garlic & Oregano
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Bites
- Cilantro-Lime Avocado Dressing (Oil-Free!)
- Easy Oil-Free Tofu Nuggets
- Vegan Palak Paneer with Tofu (Oil-Free!)
Creamy Vegan Coleslaw (Oil-Free!)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrots to a large mixing bowl.
- Following the instructions linked below, prepare the vegan oil-free aioli.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard with the vegan oil-free aioli.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots and cabbage. Mix to combine. Add fresh cracked pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt (optional).
- Serve immediately, let rest 30 minutes in the refrigerator before eating, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can substitute store-bought vegan mayo or vegan yogurt for the vegan aioli.
- If you are not using pre-shredded cabbage, use a cheese grater or food processor to shred the vegetables.
- The amount of vegan mayo or aioli you use depends on your personal preference.
- Although you can serve right away, the flavors come together a bit better when you let the coleslaw rest in the refrigerator 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.