Whether you call them potato wedges or oven fries, these taters are crispy and crunchy on the outside and pillow-soft on the inside. Best of all they're oil-free! They're quick, easy, and require just 5 ingredients. Serve these baked french fries with your favorite dipping sauce for the perfect, comforting side dish.
I love French fries just like the next person. But if we're being honest, we know they're not exactly healthy. And while I think it's fine to have them as an occasional restaurant treat, I don't eat fried foods on a daily basis. But what about crispy, crunchy Homemade French Fries? Could they be any healthier? Yes! Because you can skip the oil altogether.
You'll love these Baked French Fries because they're:
- Quick & Easy
- Crispy, Crunchy, & Perfect for Dipping
- Seasoned with Oregano & Garlic Powder (So you can skip the salt if you want)
- Versatile (Feel free to mix it up with different seasonings!)
- A Delicious Vegan Side Dish
- Kid & Family-friendly
- Healthy & Delicious
Do Oven Fries Taste Good With No Oil?
For years, I tried making my own oven fries using oil. I tried all sorts of methods, like cooking them on a drying rack, but the fries always ended up soggy and oily--not exactly appetizing. When I started focusing on eating more whole-food plant-based meals, I decided to give oil-free oven fries a shot, and guess what? Without the oil, they are BETTER! That's because the oil is what was making them soggy and limp. Oil-free oven fries are crisp and delicious. Everything a french fry should be.
Why Make French Fries without Oil?
Like I said above, I actually think these fries taste better WITHOUT oil. No more limp soggy, fries for me! But from a health point of view, I try to limit my intake of oils. You can read more about my reasons here. All of my recipes are either oil-free or have oil-free options, so it's up to you to decide what's best for you.
How to Serve Oil-Free Oven Fries with Garlic & Oregano
Serve as a side dish along with your favorite dipping sauce. I love the combination of crispy, crunchy oven fries with a creamy Vegan Aioli, Cajun-Style Vegan Remoulade, or the sweet burst of flavor from a BBQ sauce. For something a little different, you could try dipping them in my Cilantro-Lime Avocado Dressing.
Or go all out and make these oven fries the center of your meal by topping with vegan chili and cheese for a spectacularly indulgent, yet surprisingly healthy treat.
How to Make French Fries in the Oven Without Oil
For these oven fries, I recommend using medium sized yellow or gold potatoes. (Sweet potatoes or yams are a bit too dry on the inside for this method of preparation). Start off by washing and scrubbing the potatoes to remove any eyes or bad spots.
Next, cut the potatoes into wedges. Start by cutting each potato into quarters lengthwise.
Next, cut each quarter in half, angling the knife slightly to form wedges.
Add the potato wedges to a mixing bowl with the seasonings and mix to combine. If any wedges are sticking together, separate them so that each wedge is evenly coated with the seasonings.
Finally, spread the wedges on a lined baking sheet and bake on 450°F or 230°C for 30 to 35 minutes, or until they are crispy and nicely browned.
If this recipe for Oil-Free Oven Fries with Garlic & Oregano speaks your language, you might also love:
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Chick-fil-A Style Tofu Nuggets
- Southwestern Salad with Chili-Lime Tofu
- Creamy Vegan Potato Salad
- Easy Oil-Free Tofu Nuggets
Oil-Free Oven Fries with Garlic & Oregano
- 1 ½ pounds yellow potatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F or 230°C.
- Wash the potatoes, removing any eyes or bad spots.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges. For each potato: cut in half lengthwise. Then cut each half in half. Finally, for each quarter of the potato, cut in half again, this time slicing at an angle to achieve a "wedge" shape. (If using larger potatoes, you might need to cut each quarter into 3 wedges). (See more detailed photos above.)
- Add all of the potato wedges to a mixing bowl. Add the seasonings and stir to combine. If any wedges are sticking together, separate them so that each wedge is evenly coated with the seasonings.
- Spread the potato wedges on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, removing the tray about halfway to move the wedges around on the baking sheet.
- I recommend using yellow or gold potatoes for this recipe as they have some moisture. If the potatoes you use don't have enough moisture for the seasonings to stick, add a spritz of water.
- This preparation method will not work with sweet potatoes or yams because they are too dry on the inside.
Pair with Oil-Free Vegan Aioli!
Want access to my Exclusive Meal Planning Tips & Printables page?