These Vegan Po' Boys are made with seasoned tofu nuggets and vegan remoulade. Pile on french bread or a whole wheat baguette with lettuce, tomato, and hot sauce, for a hearty, filling, and delicious Cajun-inspired sandwich.
If you've ever traveled to New Orleans and had the joy of biting into a decadent, messy, and utterly delicious Po' Boy sandwich, there's good news! Now you can create a healthier vegan version at home. This Vegan Cajun Recipe is sure to be a hit with vegans and omnivores alike!
I swapped out the white French Bread with a whole wheat take-and-bake baguette and the deep fried meat or seafood with my delicious tofu nuggets. Top it all off with tomato slices, shredded lettuce, healthier vegan remoulade, and (optional) Louisiana hot sauce, and you've got all the makings of a delicious Vegan Po' Boy.
You'll love this Vegan Po' Boy Recipe because it's:
- Cajun-inspired & Full of Flavor
- Quick & Easy
- Vegan / Vegetarian
- Kid-friendly (Just leave out the hot sauce!)
- Easy to make Gluten-Free
- WFPB & Oil-free
- Hearty & Delicious
What is a Po' Boy?
A Po' Boy (aka Poor Boy) is a sandwich that originates in Louisiana. It's traditionally served with fried seafood or meat. The term was possibly coined in the late 1920s by the Martin brothers, who owned a restaurant in New Orleans and served free sandwiches to streetcar conductors during a 4-month strike, though some historians cast doubt. Either way, it's a hearty, delicious sandwich synonymous with casual Cajun cuisine.
Can I make the tofu in the air fryer?
Yes! There are air fryer instructions in the linked recipe, or you can follow this Air Fryer Tofu Nugget Recipe. The tofu nuggets just take 12 to 15 minutes in the air fryer, so as a bonus you'll save time!
Can this be gluten-free?
Sure! You just need to use gluten-free bread. You will also want to use tamarind or gluten-free soy sauce in the tofu nuggets.
- Tofu Nuggets: A whole batch of these tofu nuggets is about enough for 4 hearty sandwiches. I used my classic tofu nuggets in the photos, but you could also try it with these delicious Chick-fil-A Style Nuggets. Or make Air Fryer Tofu Nuggets.
- french bread or baguette (enough for 4 big sandwiches): I used two take-and-bake whole wheat baguettes, cut in half. Traditionally a Po'Boy is served on French bread. However, any type of Hoagie, ciabatta, or hearty bread roll that's crusty on the outside and soft on the inside will do.
- romaine or iceberg lettuce, chopped or shredded
- sliced tomatoes
- vegan remoulade sauce: This delicious sauce adds creaminess and a touch of brininess.
- hot sauce: If you don't like the extra heat, just leave it out! Go for Louisiana Hot Sauce if you have it, otherwise, just use what's in the fridge.
- Make the tofu nuggets following the linked directions. It just takes about 5 minutes of prep and 30 to 35 minutes in the oven or 15 minutes in the air fryer.
- While the tofu nuggets are cooking, wash and shred the lettuce, slice the tomato, and make the remoulade.
- After the tofu nuggets are finished, assemble the sandwiches. Cut the bread (if needed) and add a smear of remoulade, pile on the lettuce, tomato slices, and tofu nuggets. Top it all off with hot sauce and enjoy!
How to serve
If you plan to pack this sandwich for lunch or a picnic, you might want to keep the remoulade and tomato slices separate and add them right before serving. This will keep the bread from getting soggy.
Can I make it ahead?
You can make the Tofu nuggets and remoulade ahead of time. The tofu nuggets taste great hot or cold, so no need to reheat. Wait until right before serving to assemble the sandwich.
How to store
- If you've already put the remoulade on the bread, it will get soggy and won't last more than a day in the fridge.
- The tofu nuggets and remoulade can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Tofu Po' Boy (Vegan & Oil-Free)
- Start by making the tofu nuggets following the linked instructions.
- While the tofu nuggets are in the oven, make the remoulade and prep the veggies.
- When the tofu nuggets are done, assemble the sandwiches. Add 2 tablespoons of remoulade, 3 tomato slices, and a handful of lettuce. Top with tofu nuggets.
- Serve right away and enjoy. Or keep the ingredients separate to assemble later.
Did you try this recipe? Have a question? Just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you ASAP!