This Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad is quick, easy, and versatile. It combines the aromatic spices of the curry powder with the crunch of the veggies and the earthiness of the chickpeas. Bring it all together with vegan mayo or yogurt and serve it as a sandwich, salad, or wrap. Perfect for lunch or any time of day!
When I was pregnant with my first son I developed a huge craving for curry chicken salad. Something about the delicious combination of the spices, the crunch of the veggies, and the creaminess of the mayo just made it the perfect, satisfying dish.
Back then, I had no idea that you could make this same dish vegan just by subbing out chickpeas and vegan mayo or yogurt. Not only does that make this healthier, but you also save a ton of time in the kitchen and have less of a mess. Even if you're not vegan, this is Curry Chickpea Salad is going to be your new favorite plant-based meal!
You'll love this Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad because it's:
- The Perfect Vegan / Vegetarian Alternative to Chicken Salad
- Quick & Easy
- Great for Packed Lunches
- Perfect for Meal Prepping
- Full of Delicious Flavors!
How to Serve Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad
Confession: I sometimes like to stand in front of the fridge eating it right out of the container. But no matter how you choose to serve it, this vegan curry chickpea salad is absolutely delicious! Here are some ideas for how to serve this amazingly versatile dish:
- over a bed of spinach
- inside romaine or lettuce cups
- as a sandwich on toasted bread
- piled on a vegan croissant (perfect for luncheons & baby showers!)
- as a wrap
- or even as it's own dish
Other Ideas for Serving and Storing Vegan Chickpea Salad
Because this recipe is so simple and quick, it makes a perfect lunch dish. But it also makes a nice party appetizer. Add a scoop to a big salad and you've got a cool dinner for a hot summer night. Plus, you can make this ahead and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so it's an ideal dish for meal prepping at the beginning of the week.
How to Make Curry Chickpea Salad
What I love about this recipe is that it's actually easier than making traditional chicken salad since you don't have to do any cooking (and you don't have to worry about getting Salmonella all over your kitchen).
Just drain and rinse your chickpeas, then add them to a bowl and mash them with a potato masher or fork. You don't need to fully mash all of the chickpeas, and it will actually give the chickpea salad a better texture if you leave it a bit chunky.
Next, add the other ingredients and mix to combine. At this point, you might need to add a little more yogurt or vegan mayo, depending on how thick it is (they can vary). Then adjust seasonings to taste and the chickpea salad is ready to serve! So simple and quick!
If this recipe for Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad speaks your language, you might also love:
- Chick-fil-A Style Tofu Nuggets
- Oil-Free Oven Fries with Garlic & Oregano
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Bites
- Easy Oil-Free Tofu Nuggets
- No-Bake Pretzel Brownie Bites
Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place in a large mixing bowl and use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas until the mixture is a 60% to 75% mashed, leaving some chickpea chunks. Set aside.
- Dice the celery, onions, and sweet pickles.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the chickpeas and mix to combine. Taste for seasonings and texture. Add more vegan mayo or yogurt if the chickpea salad is too dry or not holding together.
- Spoon onto toasted bread, over spinach, into lettuce cups or however you like to serve it. Refrigerate up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- This is an incredibly versatile recipe, so feel free to substitute using the ingredeints you have on hand (raisins for cranberries, walnuts for sunflower seeds, etc).